PH Supreme Court dismisses petitions questioning VP impeachment trial
The Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday dismissed on the ground of mootness the consolidated petitions questioning the impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte at the House of Representatives.
Benjamin Pulta and Jose Cielito Reganit/Philippine News Agency
August 6, 2026

The façade of the Supreme Court of the Philippines in Manila
MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday dismissed on the ground of mootness the consolidated petitions questioning the impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte at the House of Representatives.
In a statement, the high tribunal said the petitions were filed by Duterte and DDS lawyer Israelito P. Torreon against the lower chamber of Congress.
"The SC ruled that the issues raised in the petitions had become moot, or no longer required resolution, because the House had already approved and transmitted the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate," the court said.
The petitioners argued that the House Committee on Justice exceeded its constitutional authority by gathering evidence and compelling witnesses to appear during its initial review of the impeachment complaints.
They also questioned the Committee’s findings that the complaints were sufficient in form, substance, and grounds.
The SC, however, said the House’s transmittal of the Articles of Impeachment “marked the end of the House’s role in the impeachment process and the initiation of the impeachment case.”
“As a result, the actions the petitioner sought to stop had already been completed,” the court added.
The Court also noted that the Senate had already convened as impeachment court and started the impeachment trial.
"While the SC recognized that it may, in exceptional cases, decide issues that have become moot, it found that none of the recognized exceptions applied in this case," the SC said.
House prosecutor Terry Ridon of Bicol Saro Party-list said the SC’s dismissal of the petitions has put an end to what Duterte’s camp had repeatedly described as a “mini-trial” and “fishing expedition.”
“Bunsod ng desisyong ito, tapos na ang lahat ng usapan patungkol sa mini-trial at fishing expedition na paulit-ulit na propaganda ng kampo ng Pangalawang Pangulo (Due to this decision, all issues on mini-trial and fishing expedition that were repeatedly used by the Vice President’s camp as propaganda are finished),” he said in a statement.
Ridon said the impeachment case should now proceed where the Constitution mandates it to be heard.
“Nasa Senate impeachment court na ang nag-iisang laban para sa katotohanan at pananagutan (The sole fight for truth and accountability is now with the Senate impeachment court),” he said.
He expressed confidence that the proceedings would ultimately serve the public interest.
“Mataas ang pagtitiwala namin na sa dulo ng labang ito, katotohanan, pananagutan at bayan ang magtatagumpay (We are optimistic that at the end of this fight, truth, accountability and the country will be victorious),” he said.
House prosecutor Joel Chua, for his part, said the ruling removed an immediate source of uncertainty and left the Senate impeachment court as the forum for resolving the charges.
In a press conference, Chua announced that it had just received the SC’s official statement.
Reading from the announcement, Chua said the high court had found that the petitions no longer presented a live controversy requiring adjudication.
For Chua, the latest dismissal means the pending petitions can no longer be invoked to stop a House process that has already ended.
“Well, napakahalaga. Unang-una, at least makahinga na tayo na magtutuloy-tuloy na ito at wala nang magiging sagabal dito sa impeachment na ginagawa ngayon dito sa Senado (It’s very important. First, at least we can now breathe a sigh of relief that the impeachment being conducted in the Senate will continue without impediment),” Chua said.
“Hindi na tayo kakaba-kaba na baka mamaya, bukas-makalawa, ay patitigilin tayo (we won’t be feeling nervous that we will be asked to stop any day from now),” he said.
A dismissal based on mootness means that subsequent events have overtaken the relief sought by the petitioners.
It does not determine whether Duterte is guilty or innocent of the allegations, nor does it automatically validate every action taken by the House or declare the prosecution’s evidence admissible.
Chua acknowledged that the panel had received only the announcement and had not yet studied the full ruling.
He said the parties should now focus on litigating the substance of the complaint before the constitutionally designated impeachment tribunal.
In a post on X, Mamamayang Liberal Party-list Rep. Leila de Lima said it is clear from the SC decision that the fight for truth and accountability is now with the Senate impeachment court.
“Wala nang duda o balakid para paulit-ulit na pigilan o takasan ang impeachment. Umuusad na ang paglilitis sa Senado. Dapat makita at pakinggan ang lahat ng ebidensya (There is now no doubt or impediment to continuously stop or evade the impeachment. The trial in the Senate is now ongoing. All evidence must be seen and heard),” De Lima said.
“Panahon na para harapin ni VP Sara ang pananagutan nya sa taumbayan (It is time for VP Sara to face her accountability to the people)," she added.
Meanwhile, the prosecution said the dismissal does not prevent Duterte’s lawyers from challenging the prosecution’s witnesses and documents before the impeachment court.
The defense retains the right to object, conduct cross-examination and present contrary evidence. The prosecution, for its part, must still establish the Articles through competent evidence.
The senator-judges will determine the admissibility, credibility and weight of that evidence and ultimately decide whether the charges have been proven. (PNA)
Paraluman News Publication, Inc.
desk@myparaluman.ph
Tektite Towers (East), Exchange Road
Ortigas Center. San Antonio 1600
City of Pasig, NCR, Philippines
+63284298877
EXPLORE
Editorial Standards and Code of Ethics
Privacy Policy
User Policy
COMMUNITY
Contributor Terms
Community Guidelines
Advertise with Paraluman News
ACCOUNTABILITY & SAFETY
Submit a Claim for Fact-Checking
© 2026 Paraluman News Publication