top of page

Around 6.5 million affected by bad weather; 29 deaths being confirmed — OCD

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) on Thursday said the number of people affected by the combined effects of tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay and the ongoing southwest monsoon (habagat) has climbed to nearly 6.52 million individuals, with the reported death toll rising to 29.

Philippine News Agency

20 August 2026 at 16:19:06

Around 6.5 million affected by bad weather; 29 deaths being confirmed — OCD

Martin Kaing, 36, carries his daughter as he and his son wade through floodwaters after heavy monsoon rains in Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines, August 18, 2026.

REUTERS/Eloisa Lopez

MANILA – The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) on Thursday said the number of people affected by the combined effects of tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay and the ongoing southwest monsoon (habagat) has climbed to nearly 6.52 million individuals, with the reported death toll rising to 29.


In a message to reporters, OCD public information officer Diego Mariano said the persons affected by the adverse weather is equivalent to about 1.82 million families residing in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Cordillera and the National Capital Region.


Some 628 evacuation centers are now sheltering around 13,957 families, equivalent to 47,277 individuals.


Mariano also said 1,882 houses were damaged while 226 dwellings were destroyed.


Infrastructure damage was placed at around PHP4.6 billion, while agriculture damage is estimated at PHP1.4 billion.


Reported deaths that are still undergoing verification process were placed at 29 – 15 in Benguet, four each in Rizal and Batangas; two in Caloocan; and one each in La Union, Quezon, Oriental Mindoro, and Negros Occidental.


OCD said 19 persons were reported injured while three are missing.


Ensure safety of responders, police commanders told


Meanwhile, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Thursday ordered all police commanders to look after the welfare of their personnel by providing essential support systems, especially during deployment for disaster response amid heavy monsoon rains.


“Each and every PNP personnel deployed for disaster response has family too and as commanders, we have to make sure that they are taken care of in order for them to go home safely,” he said in a statement.


The directive came as police officers continued rescue, relief, and public assistance operations in communities affected by the enhanced southwest monsoon or ‘habagat’.


More than 600 police officers had been deployed to assist residents affected by the rains and flooding. Cops have also continued assisting stranded commuters through free rides in areas affected by inundation.


The PNP chief also ordered assistance for personnel whose families were affected by the massive flooding.


“We will also provide psychosocial support for our men, especially those whose families have also been affected by the massive floods brought by torrential rains,” Nartatez said.


-with report from Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/Philippine News Agency

LATEST NEWS

Senator Erwin Tulfo seeks criminal liability for negligent gun owners

Senator Erwin Tulfo seeks criminal liability for negligent gun owners

DENR to public: Keep garbage out of waterways to avoid flooding

DENR to public: Keep garbage out of waterways to avoid flooding

Around 6.5 million affected by bad weather; 29 deaths being confirmed — OCD

Around 6.5 million affected by bad weather; 29 deaths being confirmed — OCD

TOP SPORTS NEWS

ATHLETICS: Former world champion Simpson reveals diagnosis of rare heart condition

ATHLETICS: Former world champion Simpson reveals diagnosis of rare heart condition

MOTOR RACING: Verstappen commits to Red Bull through 2030, ending F1 future speculation

MOTOR RACING: Verstappen commits to Red Bull through 2030, ending F1 future speculation

MLB: Royals' Jac Caglianone optimistic ankle injury isn't serious

MLB: Royals' Jac Caglianone optimistic ankle injury isn't serious

bottom of page